American Express has a huge offer on an undervalued card
I receive compensation for the content and many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner for this site, as are American Express, Chase, Barclays, and Capital One. Any opinions expressed in this post are mine, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners. I don’t write about all the credit cards available – instead focus on miles, points and cashback (and currencies that can be converted into the same). Conditions apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
American Express® Gold and The Platinum Card® from American Express are getting the most attention, but American Express has a great new take on a card that doesn’t (but shouldn’t) get much attention: the American Express® Green Card.
The new initial bonus offer will allow you to:
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $3,000 on purchases with your new Card in the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, get 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases made within the first six months of card membership, up to $200 in statement form.
So there is cashback on the table Plus Offer a great points bonus, and the card offers a really strong return on spending:
- 3x travel including airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds and vacation rentals
- 3X on transit purchases including trains, taxis, shuttle services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses and subways
- 3 times in restaurants worldwide, including takeaways and delivery in the US.
Convert points to:
- Star Alliance: Air Canada; all nippon. Avianca. Singapore Airlines
- one world: British Airways; Cathay Pacific; Iberia. Qantas
- sky team: Aeromexico. KLM Air France; Delta. Virgin Atlantic
- Non-alliance: Aer Lingus Emirates; Hawaii Union. Jet Blue
- Hotels: option; Hilton. Marriott
While the card fee is $150 annually (see rates and fees), it offers several credits including:
- $189 Clear Plus Credit: Get up to $189 per calendar year in statement credits when you pay for your Clear Plus membership (subject to auto-renewing) with the card
- $100 LoungeBuddy: Purchase lounge access through the LoungeBuddy app using the card and receive up to $100 in statement credits annually.
While many cards have given up these types of benefits, not only do you earn 3x more on airfare, you also get flight delay insurance when you pay in full with the card for a round trip. This provides benefits for delays due to covered causes of more than 12 hours, and reimbursement of eligible additional expenses purchased on the card up to $300 per trip (maximum of two claims per eligible account per 12 consecutive months). Like all insurance products, conditions apply, but it’s great to have in case an unexpected erratic happens that leaves you overnight in a connected city.
I have a Gold and Platinum card, but I think the American Express Gold Card is a great deal at the moment.
For American Express® Green Card rates and fees, click here.
For American Express® Gold Card rates and fees, click here.
For American Express Platinum Card rates and fees, click here.
More from View from the Wing
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone, and have not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any issuer. Comments made in response to this posting have not been provided or authorized by, nor have they been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any bank. Nor is Citibank, Chase, American Express, Barclays, Capital One, or any other advertiser responsible for ensuring that questions are answered. Terms and restrictions apply to all offers.
#American #Express #huge #deal #undervalued #card #view #stand